livethedesertlife!
What's happening right now!

Palm Springs Preservation Foundation Event–Oct 17th

DeBrabant House – October 17, 2010

In March of 2010, the DeBrabant House at 982 North Avenida Palmas was designated a Class 1 Historic Site by the Palm Springs city council. PSPF will host a free event at the historic

residence from 2-4PM on Sunday, October 17, 2010.

A superb example of Spanish Colonial Revival architecture, the 1929 DeBrabant House is sited on a large, beautifully landscaped lot in the Las Haciendas Estates tract. The original concept for the tract was to create a neighborhood of estate-sized properties in the Spanish Colonial style and in this regard the DeBrabant House fulfills all expectations. Due partially to the tract’s proximity to the famous El Mirador Hotel (a favorite stomping ground of the Hollywood elite), the area became a haven for actors and film executives and eventually became known as the “Movie

Colony” district.

The DeBrabant House is designed around a central courtyard (as is commonly found in Spanish haciendas). The entire complex is roofed with hand-made barrel roof tiles and features broad roof overhangs. Exterior walls of cement plaster are studded with native rock and painted off-white. The original casement windows and light fixtures still survive.

The house’s original owner was Madam Rachel de Brabant who acquired the property from her next door neighbor, the locally-prominent Dr. Jacob John Kocher. Rachel was the sister of Mr. Marius de Brabant, an important executive of various rail and shipping companies including the Los Angeles-Pacific Navigation Company where he served as the vice-president in the 1920s.

Share

Leave a Comment

Get Adobe Flash playerPlugin by wpburn.com wordpress themes