Chile Relleno Casserole– You can make ahead of time!
Chili Relleno Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef, ground turkey, or ground pork… or sausage.
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 10 roasted pasilla chilies with skins removed or 10 anaheim chilies skins removed
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 can black beans
- Cilantro chopped for garnish
- Avocados sliced served over casserole.
- In a skillet brown ground beef. Add green pepper and onion and cook until both are tender.
- Add drained black beans, green chilies, salt, and spices to meat mixture and set aside.
- In a bowl combine eggs and milk.
- In a 9 x13 pan layer 1/2 of meat and roasted pasillas, sprinkle the layer with cheeses.
- Add another layer of meat, pasillas and another layer of cheese. Leave remaining cheees to use on top after baking.
- Pour egg milk mixture over the top of the cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 7 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit about 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with sliced avocados.
- You could eliminate the meat mixture and make this a veggie/egg dish! I made up 3 of these and froze 2 of them. Thaw the night before in the refrigerator and they bake up perfect the next day!
Kathy Schowe 760.333.8886
Intero Real Estate Services in Old Town La Quinta